Food City Recognizes Divisional Winners for Outstanding Community Service

Food City Recognizes Divisional Winners for Outstanding Community Service
Abingdon, VA. - Monday, Feb 20, 2017.

Food City’s retail supermarket chain annually recognizes outstanding volunteerism among their associates via the Claude P. Varney Volunteer Recognition Program.  The creation of the program came in response to President Bush’s call to boost volunteer efforts through corporate support.  During a June 2002 White House meeting, President Bush met with corporate leaders from organizations across the nation and key White House staff members to discuss objectives for his Businesses Strengthening America volunteerism campaign.  Steve Smith, Food City president and chief executive officer was among the select group. 

“As a company, we strive to maintain a high level of dedication to service, quality, value and community involvement, while providing a work environment that enables our associates to grow both personally and professionally as successful members of the team,” says Smith.  “Many of our associates volunteer their time and talents to numerous organizations in support of their communities and we felt it needful to formally recognize their selfless contributions.”

The program was entitled in memory of Food City’s beloved former president and board vice-chairman of 47 years, Claude P. Varney.  Varney was well-known for his tremendous compassion and humanitarian services.  Each year, committees review associate volunteer activities and select individual award recipients based on outstanding achievement in the areas of health, education, environment, cultural arts, recreational, heritage/history and public service.  One winner is selected from each Food City location.  The field is then narrowed to twelve district winners, followed by two divisional winners. 

Tim Wisecarver of the Jonesborough, TN Food City and Emily Parton, District Floral Supervisor for Food City received this year’s coveted divisional awards. 

Wisecarver, who has been employed with Food City for ten years, serves as the Human Relations Coordinator for Food City’s Jonesborough, TN location.  He volunteers his time and talents to aid a number of organizations, including Alzheimer’s Association.  Serving as Team Captain for last year’s annual walk, Wisecarver helped raise $1,200 to benefit the organization.  He is a board member for Keep Jonesborough Beautiful, where he maintains their Facebook and Twitter accounts and helps organize events, including their Great American Cleanup, e-Waste recycling program and local middle school educational presentations.  Wisecarver is also a member of the Jonesborough Area Merchants and Service Association Board of Directors and assists in coordinating numerous events, including Chocolate Fest, Taste of Jonesborough, Jonesborough Days and Easter Extravaganza, in addition to helping serve breakfast at their monthly merchant meetings.  He assists with the annual Jonesborough Christmas Parade, coordinating the Food City Big Cart and organizing the food drive for the Jonesborough Area Ministry Association, and the At Home with Santa program, helping organize the event, fundraising, recruiting volunteers, assisting children decorate Christmas cookies and operating the Santa Mart.  Wisecarver also coordinates and helps fundraise for the annual Kid’s Day Downtown Jonesborough, an event he helped create, which benefits area children and the local Kiwanis Club.  He helped organize the Halloween Haunts Happenings event as well and assists in securing product and prize donations, in addition to judging the costume contest for several categories.  He also conducts healthy initiative/produce presentations for area elementary schools, distributing water during special events and speaking with the children about the importance of healthy eating habits and assists the Jonesborough Senior Center with their white elephant gift exchange, organized food for their opening and established a flu shot clinic for their members.

“It was a tremendous honor to receive the Claude Varney award. I am thankful for the opportunities that I have received to help my community. The community outreach and volunteerism were not done to receive any recognition, rather I just wanted to help the people in my area.  I am truly proud that I have a chance to make a difference in the town and local area,” says Wisecarver.

Emily Parton has been employed with Food City for six years and currently serves as a District Floral Supervisor for the company’s corporate operations.  She donates a tremendous amount of time to Gray Community Chest, where she currently serves in the office of Secretary.  As such, Parton conducts monthly meetings with area families in need, providing assistance where possible.  She helps coordinate a number of special events hosted by the organization to benefit area residents with special needs, including their Fall Fling, assisting with food, games and activities, Spring Gala, working with local salons to provide services, area churches to provide dresses and suits and securing food and music for the event, Children’s Christmas Party, assisting with event set-up/clean up and gift distribution, Senior Citizen Christmas Party, once again helping with set-up and clean-up, serving lunch, assisting with treat bag and ornament distribution, games and door prizes, Block Party, helping with food and activities, Golf Tournament fundraiser for the Children’s Christmas Party, Challenger League, a special needs baseball league and the annual Christmas Parade, organizing floats and other entries and assisting with the Christmas Tree lighting.  Parton also serves as a member of the Appalachian Fair School Tours Board of Directors, arranging for local second graders to attend the fair to learn about various animals and safety, preparing lunches and serving as a tour guide.  She works closely with the Girls on the Run program to educate young girls on the importance of self-respect and self-confidence, while maintaining a healthy life-style through running and physical exercise, including helping train the girls to prepare for upcoming 5K walk/runs.  Parton is also a long-time volunteer with Sullivan Baptist Church, where she taught an AWANAS class, children’s church and Vacation Bible School, chaperones annual youth and children’s group trips, volunteers with senior/youth night activities and Bible study.           

“I am very honored and humbled to win the Claude Varney award. I love giving back to the community and helping others. There is nothing more rewarding than giving hope to someone that didn't have hope, making someone smile that thought they didn't have a reason to smile and encouraging someone to pay it forward. I don't volunteer to be recognized, I volunteer because I want to make a difference,” says Parton.

A special corporate luncheon was recently held to recognize the recipients for their outstanding service achievements.  They were presented with an honorary plaque and Food City will make a $500 contribution (in addition to the district level contribution) on their behalf to the charity of their choice. 

“We’re extremely proud of the difference our associates make by devoting their time and talents to the service of others.  Our company is committed to providing our associates the support they need to become the best corporate citizens possible,” summarized Smith.

Headquartered in Abingdon, Virginia, K-VA-T Food Stores (Food City’s parent company) operates 135 retail outlets throughout southeast Kentucky, southwest Virginia, east Tennessee, Chattanooga and north Georgia.