Rick Bishop Named Food City  Executive Vice President of Operations, Chattanooga Division

Rick Bishop Named Food City Executive Vice President of Operations, Chattanooga Division
Abingdon, VA. - Monday, Feb 13, 2017.

Food City recently named Rick Bishop as Executive Vice President of Store Operations for their Chattanooga Division.  Bishop brings more than 34 years of industry experience to the newly created position.

“We’re really excited about the opportunity for Rick to lead our newly formed Chattanooga Division.  Rick is a proven leader, having grown up with our company, served as district manager and promoted so many of his associates into key roles throughout our organization.  He will bring a keen insight to this new role and will become an active member of the Greater Chattanooga community,” says Steven C. Smith, Food City president and chief executive officer.

Born and raised in Rogersville, TN, Bishop began his career at 18 years of age, accepting a position as courtesy clerk for Super Dollar Markets, which was later acquired by Food City.  He was quickly promoted through the ranks, serving as cashier, front-end manager, bakery manager, seafood manager and assistant store manager.  Within five years, he secured his first assignment as store manager and managed ten locations over the next sixteen years.  In June  of 2004, he was promoted to his most recent position as District Manager, responsible for the operation of 13 Food City locations and 2 convenience stores throughout Washington, Green, Carter and Sullivan County, TN.

Bishop’s new duties include oversight of store operations for Food City’s Chattanooga based division, which is comprised of 27 Food City locations, as well as their pharmacy and Gas n’ Go fuel centers. 

“I have really enjoyed my time as a District Manager for the Tri-Cities region, working with so many outstanding people that I am fortunate to call my friends,” says Bishop.  “I’m looking forward to starting my new responsibilities in the Chattanooga market and having the opportunity to work with the great team of associates we have there and meeting many of our loyal customers.”

Bishop is also an active member of his local community, having served with the Rogersville Optimist Club, Newport Kiwanis Club, Morristown Optimist Club, Rogersville Chamber of Commerce, Gray Community Chest, Johnson City Salvation Army, United Way of Johnson City, Niswonger Children’s Hospital, East Tennessee State University, two-time member of the Johnson City Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors and a number of other organizations and activities.  He is a 1982 graduate of Cherokee High School and attended Walters State Community College and the University of Tennessee. 

Bishop currently resides in Gray, TN with his lovely wife, Vicki.  He has three children, Lindsey, Derrick and Alexis. 

Headquartered in Abingdon, Virginia, K-VA-T Food Stores (Food City’s parent company) operates 135 retail outlets throughout southeast Kentucky, southwest Virginia, east Tennessee, Chattanooga and north Georgia.