U.S. Senator Marsha Blackburn And State Senator Bill Carrico  To Serve As Food City 300 Race Officia

U.S. Senator Marsha Blackburn And State Senator Bill Carrico To Serve As Food City 300 Race Officia
Abingdon, VA. - Monday, Aug 12, 2019.

As the area prepares for the upcoming race weekend at Bristol Motor Speedway, the folks at Food City are gearing up for the running of the August 16th Food City 300.

Company officials announced today that U.S. Senator Marsha Blackburn will serve as the event Grand Marshal and deliver the starting command featuring the most famous words in motorsports:  “drivers start your engines”.  Honorary Starter, State Senator Bill Carrico will wave the green flag to signal the start of Friday’s Food City 300.  Senator Carrico recently announced his retirement after 18 years of dedicated service in the General Assembly.

“Food City is proud to have representatives from both the state of Tennessee and Virginia represent our company as our Food City 300 race officials,” said Steven C. Smith, Food City president and chief executive officer.  “We’re excited for Marsha Blackburn as she embarks upon her service in the United States Senate and we’re certainly proud of Bill Carrico’s service in the Virginia Senate.  We wish him all the best on his well-deserved retirement.”      

Blackburn, who was elected to the U.S. Senate in 2018, is currently serving her first term representing the state of Tennessee.  Prior to her election, she represented Tennessee’s 7th Congressional District.  Senator Blackburn is dedicated to making America a more prosperous place to live.  Her leadership philosophy is based on her experiences in the private sector as a small business woman and author, as well as being a mother and grandmother.  Senator Blackburn serves on the Commerce, Science & Transportation, Judiciary, Veterans Affairs and Armed Services committees.  She is a member of numerous charitable organizations and is an active member of her church.  She and her husband Chuck reside in Williamson County, TN.  They have two children and two grandsons.  Originally from Laurel, Mississippi, Senator Blackburn is a graduate of Mississippi State University.

“The Food City 300 is a great Tennessee tradition,” said Senator Blackburn. “It is an honor to serve as this year’s Grand Marshal. I’m looking forward to a great race day at the Bristol Motor Speedway!”

Carrico is a member of the Senate of Virginia, representing the 40th District. A lifelong resident of Southwest Virginia, Senator Carrico served the region in the House of Delegates for ten years before winning election to the Senate in 2011.  He serves all of Grayson, Lee, Scott, and Washington Counties; all of the City of Bristol; and part of Smyth, Wise, and Wythe Counties.  As a retired state trooper, Senator Carrico has worked in the General Assembly on public safety issues and has developed a reputation as a reliable conservative voice. In the Senate, he fights for low taxes, improved education, rural economic development, and promotion of coal and agriculture.  His local roots and leadership experience make him an effective voice for Southwest Virginia families. Senator Carrico married Paula Denise Sweet and is a member of the Cliffview Church of God.

"I am honored to be invited to join U. S. Senator Marsha Blackburn as an official starter at the Food City 300 for the Friday night race. Many of my strongest supporters are race fans and look forward to this time of year when the race comes to town. Thank you to Food City President and CEO Steve Smith, a friend for over 18 years of my elected service, to consider me for what will be a highlight as I wind down my Senate career," said Senator Carrico.

Food City is Bristol Motor Speedway’s longest running sponsor and the second longest in NASCAR.  The Xfinity Series Food City 300 gets under way at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, August 16, 2019.  PINTY’S Qualifying for the Food City 300 place at 4:05 p.m. on Friday.  Tickets are still available and may be purchased at www.bristoltix.com or by calling the BMS ticket office at 423-BRISTOL (274-7865).

Headquartered in Abingdon, Virginia, K-VA-T Food Stores (Food City’s parent company) operates 132 retail outlets throughout southeast Kentucky, southwest Virginia, east Tennessee, Chattanooga and north Georgia.