Food City Recognizes Divisional Winners for Outstanding Community Service

Food City Recognizes Divisional Winners for Outstanding Community Service
Abingdon, VA. - Thursday, Feb 28, 2019.

Food City’s retail supermarket chain annually recognizes outstanding volunteerism among their associates through their Claude P. Varney Volunteer Recognition Program.  The creation of the program came in response to President Bush’s call to boost volunteer efforts through corporate support.  During a June 2002 White House meeting, President Bush met with corporate leaders from organizations across the nation and key White House staff members to discuss objectives for his Businesses Strengthening America volunteerism campaign.  Steve Smith, Food City president and chief executive officer was among the select group. 

“As a company, we strive to maintain a high level of dedication to service, quality, value and community involvement, while providing a work environment that enables our associates to grow both personally and professionally as successful members of the team,” says Smith.  “Many of our associates volunteer their time and talents to numerous organizations in support of their communities and we felt it needful to formally recognize their selfless contributions.”

The program was entitled in memory of Food City’s beloved former president and board vice-chairman of 47 years, Claude P. Varney.  Varney was well-known for his tremendous compassion and humanitarian services.  Each year, committees review associate volunteer activities and select individual award recipients based on outstanding achievement in the areas of health, education, environment, cultural arts, recreational, heritage/history and public service.  One winner is selected from each Food City location.  The field is then narrowed to twelve district winners, followed by two divisional winners. 

Rilie Gouge of the Johnson City Food City and Howard Robb from the Crossville Food City received this year’s coveted divisional awards. 

Gouge serves as a Cashier for the S. Roan Street Food City in Johnson City, TN.  She has been a member of the Food City team for 2½ years.  She began volunteering with the Limestone Cove Volunteer Fire Department at the age of 12.  At age 16, she started participating in medical and fire calls.  Gouge is now a Junior Firefighter/First Responder.  She is certified in American Heart Association CPR, OSHA, intro to emergency medical services, Nims 700 and 800, suicide prevention training, AED usage and first aid.  Gouge attends monthly meetings and assists with fundraisers, as well as the mowing and cleaning of the facilities and equipment.  She also partners with Second Harvest Food Bank to distribute food to needy families through the fire department each month and assists with the department’s annual Toys for Tots fundraiser, collecting and distributing toys to area needy children.  She works with the Unicoi County Health Department Primary Prevention Initiatives Team to educate local youth about the dangers of smoking and spends three weeks each summer assisting with the department’s annual fireworks fundraiser.  Gouge volunteers with the department year-round, including during severe weather conditions.  In 2017, she donated 252 hours and helped raise over $90,000 in support of three local volunteer fire departments.  In 2018, she donated 522 volunteer hours, while attending Unicoi County High School full time and working part-time at Food City.       

“I was shocked and speechless when I was told that I had been awarded the Claude P. Varney Volunteer Recognition Program Award for my store. I had not entered the program, a friend had submitted an entry for me. Later when I was informed that I had won the award at the District level, I realized that I was lucky to work for a company like Food City.  It is a privilege to work for someone that not only recognizes it’s volunteers, but rewards the agencies that the associate volunteers with.  My parents taught me at a very young age that volunteering gives me an opportunity to give back to my community. Volunteering with my local volunteer fire department not only has helped my community, but has also helped me to build life skills and have a sense of purpose. I was truly honored to receive this award and the icing on the cake was winning at the Divisional level during the award luncheon! I am beyond blessed!” said Gouge.

Howard Robb has been employed with the Fairfield Glade Food City in Crossville, TN for nearly 7 years.  He currently serves as a Meat Cutter.  Robb has a passion for giving back to those in need and volunteers with a number of organizations.  He is active within his local church, Fairfield Glade United Methodist, where he serves as an usher, communion server and works with the men’s group to provide home repairs to those in need.  He assists Reach Ministries with teaching children various trades from the construction industry so that they too may provide needed home repairs, including building ramps, decks, dry wall, painting and roofing.  He served as Fire Chief for the Fairfield Glade Fire Department for six years.  After retiring the post, he returned to the department to train new recruits in Tennessee state required Firefighter 100, a 64-hour course. Robb serves as a team leader for the UMCOR Disaster Response team, helping clean up debris, sanitize home interiors and repair homes ravaged by flood waters, hurricanes and tornados.  He works with Fairfield Glade Friends of the Trails to help maintain 12 miles of trails, including clearing leaves, branches, weed eating and tree removal.  He also served as a crew leader for Volunteers East TN, assisting area residents with the construction of prefab homes following the devastating fires in Gatlinburg, TN.

“It’s GREAT that Food City recognizes volunteers who get involved in their community and makes a donation to the organizations they work hard for and give their time to for the good of the community. Thank You Food City and Steve Smith!” says Robb.

A special corporate luncheon was recently held to recognize the recipients for their outstanding service achievements.  They were presented with an honorary plaque and Food City will make a $500 contribution (in addition to the district level contribution) on their behalf to the charity of their choice. 

“We’re extremely proud of the difference our associates make by devoting their time and talents to the service of others.  Our company is committed to providing our associates the support they need to become the best corporate citizens possible,” summarized Smith.

Headquartered in Abingdon, Virginia, K-VA-T Food Stores (Food City’s parent company) operates 131 retail outlets throughout southeast Kentucky, southwest Virginia, east Tennessee, Chattanooga and north Georgia.