Ed Green of Gray, TN Wins Food City Claude P. Varney Humanitarian Award

Ed Green of Gray, TN Wins Food City Claude P. Varney Humanitarian Award
Abingdon, VA. - Thursday, Mar 12, 2020.

Food City’s retail supermarket chain annually recognizes outstanding volunteerism among their associates via their Claude P. Varney Volunteer Recognition Program.  The creation of the program came in response to President Bush’s call to boost volunteer efforts through corporate support.  During a June 2002 White House meeting, President Bush met with corporate leaders from organizations across the nation and key White House staff members to discuss objectives for his Businesses Strengthening America volunteerism campaign.  Steve Smith, Food City president and chief executive officer was among the select group. 

“As a company, we strive to maintain a high level of dedication to service, quality, value and community involvement, while providing a work environment that enables our associates to grow both personally and professionally as successful members of the team,” says Smith.  “Many of our associates volunteer their time and talents to numerous organizations in support of their communities and we felt it needful to formally recognize their selfless contributions.”

The program was entitled in memory of Food City’s beloved former president and board vice-chairman of 47 years, Claude P. Varney.  Varney was well-known for his tremendous compassion and humanitarian services.  Each year, committees are established to review associate volunteer activities and select individual award recipients based on outstanding achievement in the areas of health, education, environment, cultural arts, recreational, heritage/history and public service.  One winner is selected from each Food City location.  The field is then narrowed to twelve district level winners, followed by two divisional winners and finally the recipient of the highly esteemed Claude P. Varney Humanitarian Award. 

Ed Green of Gray, TN was selected as this year’s Claude P. Varney Humanitarian Award recipient.  Green serves as the Sushi Chef for the Food City in Gray, TN.  He has been a dedicated volunteer for the Gray Volunteer Fire Department for the past 47 years.  He holds National Professional Qualifications as a Fire Office II, National Fire Protection Association Standards 1021, Fire Officer I Professional Qualification and Instructor I, National Fire Protection Association 1041, Fire Service Instructor Professional Qualifications and as a National Fire Protection Association Certified Safety Officer. 

“Thank you so much, I appreciate everyone’s support in my life’s dream.  I couldn’t have done this without the support from my family, friends and my colleagues,” says Green

A corporate luncheon was recently held to publicly recognize Green for his outstanding service achievements.  He was presented with an honorary award and Food City will make a $1,000 contribution (in addition to the district level contribution) on his behalf to the charity of his choice. 

“We’re extremely proud of the difference our associates make by devoting their time and talents to the service of others.  Our company is committed to providing our associates the support they need to become the best corporate citizens possible,” summarized Smith.

Headquartered in Abingdon, Virginia, K-VA-T Food Stores (Food City’s parent company) operates 132 retail outlets throughout southeast Kentucky, southwest Virginia, east Tennessee, Chattanooga and north Georgia.