Pears Poached in Port
Scrumptious dessert of pears marinated and poached in port sauce. Easy and dramatic.
- Preparation can be done ahead of time so the cooking can be done as the table is cleared for dessert.
- In a bowl, whip the whipping cream till it stands up in peaks, chill till ready to serve.
- In a saucepan just large enough to take the pears comfortably, mix the sugar, water, cinnamon stick, cloves, and orange peel.
- Bring to a simmer and then cool.
- Peel the pears, leaving the stem intact.
- Cut a bit off the bottom of the pear to stand upright in the pan.
- Leave them in a stainless or glass bowl covered with mild salt water until ready to cook.
- When ready to cook, place dessert bowl or dish in plate warmer or oven set to 135 degrees.
- Drain the pears and place them in the sugar syrup pan, upright.
- Add the port and bring the whole to a gentle boil.
- Turn to a simmer and cover.
- Cook until the pears are tender but still a bit firm, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the pears, upright, to the warmed dessert bowls or dishes.
- Turn up the heat to medium and continue reducing the sauce by about 1/2.
- Puddle the reduced port sauce around the pears, add whipping cream and sprinkle with chopped candied ginger to garnish.